April 29, 2012

24/7/365

Long time no see! Unfortunately, my posting frequency has become signifi-cantly lower again. I haven't lost my desire to share some of my impressions and thoughts on geoscience and career paths, but my professional life has become a different one during the last few months and I have to leave it at some essential blog entries from time to time. However, I'm still controversial and will continue to use my new responsibilities to stand up and speak up whenever I see the necessity to do so. I've chosen this moment for a new blog entry to reflect on the things that have changed during the last twelve months and to dare a look ahead on what things will be like in one year from now.

Taking a look back, it appears to me like it's been ages since last April. So many things have changed dramatically for the better for the Student Geoscientific Society, our members and our community. In addition to our longtime successful SEG Student Chapter, SGS established the first AAPG and EAGE Student Chapters in Germany and is just about to reactivate an SPE Student Chapter and become an incorporated society under German law. While most of the rather old (and sadly also some young) geoscientists seem to still live in times that are long gone, we are one of the very first to pave the way for the future of the geosciences by promoting the collaboration of students and experienced scientists of all geoscientific disciplines ranging from geophysics and geology through meteorology to geography.

Further, the last year also has turned some things to good account for me on a personal level. It hasn't been unnoticed that I've changed significantly. I wanted to be mentally and physically prepared for any challenge that already has or still might come up. On a professional level, I appreciate how I regularly go beyond most people's unfortunately limited imagination by working for/at/on/with what they considered to be impossible. Once you have expelled "impossible" from your vocabulary and even from your thoughts, nothing is impossible and that is what I'm living up to. And I can tell you: This ain't no miracle and certainly no freaking luck. Success does not arise accidentally. Success is the reward for holding on to your beliefs even in times of unacknowledged sacrifice and despair. It's the reward for voluntarily working your heart out 24/7/365 for next to nothing while being laughed at by opportunists, who give a damn about their fellow people. I could say that I just don't care but as a matter of fact I'm deeply sorry for these people because they probably will end up in the money but will have lost their heart and soul long before. It's sad to see that often the best and most capable people decide to waste their strength and leadership skills on their very own benefit and not to spend them on liberating the potential of their communities. And it's because of this selfish attitude that our society is slowly torn apart.

These days, it's kinda funny to see how we have desperately fought for desired changes over and over again without any major reaction, but then almost instantly things get dead simple if the right people believe in you and start to support you. That's a wonderful thing for the greater good of SGS and I can't deny that I feel some kind of delayed gratification now that the very same laughing opportunists are miraculously popping up like spring flowers and jumping on the bandwagon. However, in these very successful times, more than ever, I appreciate company of the very few loyal souls who believed in our potential when nobody else did and not just when it became fashionable to be in awe of SGS and adorn in our plumes.

In exactly one year from now, last weekend of April 2013, the next generation of leading geoscientists and the very best geoscientists and industry professionals of our time will meet in Berlin for the International Geosciences Student Conference 2013. And once again it's 24/7/365 because you do not simply leave responsibility and expectations behind at the office if you truly love what you do. The outstanding work of our organizing committee and the great support of our local, national and international partners and sponsors will provide the setting for the 4th IGSC to become not only another student conference, but an event that will inspire change and stay in the minds and hearts of all attendees. For the time being, only a few people know about what is about to appear on the horizon, but SGS will provide the first information about the IGSC 2013 in a couple of weeks from now at this year's IGSC (May 29-31) in Belgrade, Serbia, and at the 74th EAGE Conference & Exhibition (June 4-7) in Copenhagen, Denmark. I'm looking forward to meeting you there!

No comments: