August 03, 2010

The Sound of Silence

Statistics say that 95 percent of all blogs don't survive their first three months. My blog's (first) life lasted at least eight months. However, it's been more than fourteen months since my last blog entry. I don't want to explain the reasons that brought me into this absence but I'm very glad to revive my blog with this new entry and a brand-new design. I hope you like it.

I took some time to read my old blog entries and reflected on some memories. Comparing my point of view back then with today, I still find myself in those blog entries but a lot has changed. Even though it's been less than two years, I've learned and experienced so much in that time. You may call this change the normal evolution from a freshman over a sophomore to an almost graduate but for me it's something special. This change can be explained best with the following comparison. When people asked me one year ago what I studied, I answered geophysics. When people ask me today what I study, I answer rock physics, earthquake localization, seismic interpretation, numerical modeling,...

I finally feel at home and I'm really looking forward to the future. Why? I'd like to quote Barack Obama who once said: We are the ones we have been waiting for. We are the change that we seek. That's pretty much what I believe in, what I want to prove to myself and to others. I'm more determined and more confident than ever and I really want to spread the gospel of taking possession of our own existence. I've found the strength and the will to follow my dreams and make them come true. But, it's still a long way to go which brings me back to the title of my blog.

What's next? Currently, I'm working on my bachelor's thesis which is about magnitude distributions in Pacific subduction zones. Moreover, in mid-October I will face the most exciting but also most important week of my career so far, but that's a story I'm going to tell some other time.

2 comments:

Silver Fox said...

Welcome back! I love the new look and hope you can keep up the blogging. (not to pressure, or anything :))

Lost Geologist said...

Gl├╝ckwunsch zur gelungen Wiederbelebung! :-)